The School of Pharmacy of the University of Puerto Rico, originally established as a Department of Pharmacy, was founded on September 22, 1913 at the Río Piedras Campus, and in 1925 organized as the College of Pharmacy. The first twelve pharmacists graduated in 1915 from a two-year program. In 1928 the College implemented a four-year pharmacy program leading to the degree of Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Sciences. The College moved to a building of its own, named after Dr. Agustin Stahl, an eminent Puerto Rican botanist and scientist. In 1932, the College was accepted as a member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy. In 1949, the College began its five-year Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Sciences program, being the second in the nation to adopt such a program. Pharmacy was the first health profession program to be offered at the higher education level in Puerto Rico, and the first to be accredited. The program was first accredited by the American Council for Pharmaceutical Education (ACPE) in 1952, and it has been accredited ever since.
The new trends in pharmacy practice and education, as well as the emphasis in clinical pharmacy prompted in 1977, the physical transfer of the College from the Río Piedras Campus to the Medical Sciences Campus (MSC) of the University of Puerto Rico. In 1989, the College changed its official name to School of Pharmacy. The Bachelor in Sciences in Pharmacy program with a greater emphasis in clinical education was offered from 1981 to 2003. A Master of Science in Pharmacy program with options in Industrial Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (Medicinal Chemistry) was established in 1988, providing highly trained individuals for the pharmaceutical industry in the Island.
The development of new roles for pharmacists in patient care, in which they assume the responsibility of overseeing the effectiveness and safety of the pharmacotherapy undertook significant changes in pharmacy education. Thus, the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) required the doctoral degree as the entry-level for the profession. This led the School of Pharmacy to the implementation of the Doctor of Pharmacy program (Pharm D) in 2001, which is currently accredited by ACPE. The curriculum focuses on the development of general and professional abilities, the integration of theory and practice, as well as active and collaborative learning.
In 2001 a Pharmacy Practice Residency program, was established as a joint effort with Veterans Administration Caribbean Healthcare Center in San Juan. It is accredited by the American Society for Health System Pharmacists as a postgraduate year one pharmacy residency program. A postgraduate year one Community Pharmacy Residency program was established in 2012 as a joint effort between the School and four collaborating partners.
The School of Pharmacy is also a provider of continuing education since 1979. The Continuing Education and Professional Studies Division of the School of Pharmacy is accredited by the Health Professional Examining Boards of Puerto Rico as a continuing education provider for most health professionals in the Island.